ο τεκές



The first time I've heard this song was in a tape compiled by a friend of my dad's, full of original forgotten and forbidden rembetika. They were called forbidden in my native language because most of them were telling tales of the underground, full of murder, violence, drugs, disease, obsession, prostitution, prison and poverty in using quite a bold and raw vocabulary. Something like the blues in a way. I was of course immediately smitten. Otan boukarw ston teke was written by Anestis Delias. He wrote few songs but utterly unique for the genre. He died from a heroine overdose in 1944. The second song is a cover probably the best ever made in a rembetiko in my opinion. It was released in 1982 by mousikes taxiarhies, a greek rock band and it can be found in their first album. Tekes is a greek slang word for a hashish den.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

do you feel lucky, punk?

60.29

10 songs